Sometimes you’re stuck with a home decor project and don’t know how to tackle it. The inspiration isn’t there. What’s the solution? Nothing beats a top-quality design book. Nowhere else you’ll find such beautifully curated interiors and inspiration.
There are so many books out there that you don’t know where to start! I’ve put together this list for you: my top 10 interior design and decorating books. Including some of my favourite ones and a few from my wish list.
My Top 10 must-have interior design and decorating books
Whether you’re looking for ideas or eye-candy. These are the books you will keep going back to over and over. Shown in no particular order.
1. Novel Living, by Lisa Occhipinti
The quirky one of the list. Great ideas on how to decorate with books. But it goes beyond shelfies and coffee table styling. Are you crafty? Here you will discover DIY decoration projects to create the coolest paper-based accessories. Your home will thank you.
2. The Modern Pastoral, by Niki Brantmark
I’m in love with this book by Niki, the writer behind My Scandinavian Home. Mid-century modern meets countryside rustic. Is that even possible? Yes! Now, add gorgeous locations to the formula. It’s stunning. You’ll imagine yourself retiring to one of these homes.
3. The House Gardener, by Isabelle Palmer
Do you live somewhere with no garden? No problem! This year is all about the greenery and botanicals. Bring nature into your home with this book full of tips and ideas. Isabelle from The Balcony Gardener knows her stuff. You can’t get more botanical than this!
4. Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves, by Emily Henderson
Collected or cluttered? The queen of styling comes to the rescue. Emily’s tips are ideal for interior photo shoots. Up your Instagram game and wow your blog readers with amazing interior styling. Maybe not for everyday life, but that’s up to you to decide.
5. Bright Bazaar: Embracing Colour for Make-You-Smile Style, by Will Taylor
Sometimes you just have to go bold with colour and ditch the neutral. That’s what Will Taylor from Bright Bazaar will convince you to do. He knows colour has a huge influence on how a room feels. If you’re having a rough day, browse these uplifting pages.
6. Farrow & Ball: How to Decorate, by Joa Studholme and Charlotte Cosby
Talking about colour. How to Decorate is the latest book from the masters of British paint. This edition concentrates on period homes. You will learn how to take advantage of traditional colours with a modern twist. The guide on neutrals will make your life easier!
7. Modern Living: Scandinavian Style, by Claire Bingham
Scandinavian is one of my favourite branches of mid-century modern design. Modern Living is full of incredible homes that go beyond the white-floorboard look. These are the homes you won’t see on Pinterest. Or put it this way. These are the looks everybody wants to steal!
8. Modern Originals: At Home with Midcentury European Designers, by Leslie Williamson
Ah. This is the ultimate style and the essence of this blog. Welcome to Europe. Home of fine architecture, effortless interiors and jaw-dropping design pieces. Only the absolute best of European mid-century design made it to this book.
9. Decorate: 1000 Professional Design Ideas for Every Room in the House, by Holly Becker and Joanna Copestick
If you’re looking for useful tips, Holly Becker from Decor8 has them all. You will find one thousand style tips and design ideas to digest in this pretty coffee table book. I say coffee table book because — believe me — you’ll be coming back to it!
10. The Kinfolk Home: Interiors for Slow Living, by Nathan Williams
Heavily styled and curated interiors. These are the homes where people from the stratosphere of coolness live. And you will find some of their comments amusing. Even though not intentionally! Note: this is a heavy book.
Your chance to get them all for free with my giveaway
To celebrate the launch of Boreal Abode, I’m organising a juicy giveaway! This blog is about mid-century design, home decor and interiors. So, I’m giving away every single book on this list! A total value of over £250. Do you have enough coffee tables to display them all?
If you’re over 18 and live in the UK, you must join the giveaway! As a bonus, you will get my monthly newsletter. Packed with the latest blog updates and exclusive subscriber-only content (such as giveaways).
This giveaway has ended. Congratulations to the winner, Meera! Join the newsletter to be the first to know about giveaways.
Want more like this?
You will only find 25% of my stories and articles on this blog. The remaining 75% goes straight to my email subscribers' inbox every month. Don’t miss my exclusive articles, occasional downloads and giveaways. Join the mailing list for free today and be part of a community of hundreds of design and well-being lovers.